Sunday, July 06, 2008

Dumaguete in the heart

No, this is not some allusion to my love life. As with every monthly visit to Dumaguete, my smile got so big when I first saw that "Welcome to Dumaguete" sign somewhere in Daro. I was home again.

My officemate, Ate Jade, laughs and marvels at how much I talk about Dumaguete, considering the fact that I am a Naga City, Camarines Sur native. I just tell her that the place is beautiful.

For those who haven't gone home in a while, here are some updates:
-Boston Market closed down a month ago because of some dispute with the land owners. Quddus Padilla, proprietor, has a new one now, Boston Cafe.
-There's a Hayahay outlet along Chantilly's now, serving pizza and seafood favorites so close to Silliman.
-Lycar Flores and Jun Jun (Janna) Villanueva are the two representatives of Region 7 to the Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines. Go Silliman!
-The road from AM/PM in the crossing of Amigo to Harold's Mansion is closed due to "road repair," yet another example of our city council's kabutolan. Why now and not during the summer??
-The Weekly Sillimanian Office updates: aircon broken, ALL computers broken, but the staff (a.k.a. Jordan and Marianne) were typing on their laptops when I got there. Sosyal!
-Mattie Hescock is the new Portal 2009 editor-in-chief.
-The College of Engineering has already begun practicing for the Cheering Competition. As usual, it's a familiar sight to us Guy Hallers.
-The College of Engineering Building is under renovations due to the Uytengsu family's some million peso donation.
-There are now big yellow and red signs on the gates bearing the "No ID, No Entry" news to students.
-Portal 2008 honoraria can now be claimed.
-Pizza Hut in Mart1 already closed down. In its place is the school supplies section already.
-MEV Dance Studio just celebrated its 35th Coral Anniversary with a concert at the Convention Center since Luce is still under renovation.

To check the next time I visit:
Is the price of cheese bread still P6?
Kamusta na kaha ang humba pata sa coop?

Here are some pictures of the trip:


JJ's Rookies picture ala 2004


The deserted road at 1am


Outside Steds, now the home of a new generation


Baby Andre with JJ's lola, a former Ms Dumaguete


The only baby I like!


Inside the new Hayahay


Clear sky on the way to Talay (it rhymes!)


Road trip:A face only a girlfriend can love

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cruel ra kau ang last caption. hehehe. but i envy that you get to home so often. and yes, only a true dumagueteƱo can understand that home is not where you where born but that place where you found yourself, char!

asdad said...

in love na jud kaayo c manang... reminds me of a certain text message i recieved from you... ahihihihihi