Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sinulog 2008

After spending January 19 at the house, I think I slept almost the entire day (Fulgie can get kinda contagious with his sleeping), I resolved to go out and watch the Sinulog parade the next day.

Sunday
I met Kenneth somewhere outside Ayala and we began walking to Mango Avenue, a 15-minute stroll in the 10am sun. Everywhere around us people were walking in the same direction. Sombrero stands in bright colors and pamaypays for P10 each were everywhere, as well as those tattoos you apply with water. I got a red pamaypay and a butterfly tattoo on my cheek.

When we got to Mango Avenue, it was like Peñafrancia Festival in Naga, only I've never tried standing near the streets in my hometown's fiesta. People were everywhere. It was warm; there were a lot of trash in the streets. We were jostling for space and breathing air.

From 10 until noon, we watched the parade standing near Robinsons in Fuente. When the parade stalled because the dancers were eating their lunches, we followed the foot traffic down Gen. something avenue, got some Jollibee, and fortunately found some empty bleachers by the Globe truck.

Here are some of the pictures I grabbed off the Internet (the parade pictures I saw with my own eyes, I promise) since I didn't have a camera (stoooopid). I wish I got my picture taken with those red, red, red Camarines Sur dancers (represent!), but unfortunately I just have to settle myself to Photoshopped ones. hahahaha.

These pictures are not in order. Hope the commentary will be enough of a guide.

This is the new Miss Cebu 2008. She's half-British, forgot her name. I think Ms. Cebu 2007 was prettier though.

A dancer from Camarines Sur! Note the sili on her costume. Their dance routine during the actual parade made me so proud to be a Nagueño! They were really good and people were clapping all around us.


Governor (and queen bee) Gwen Garcia in her Php50,000 something dress. She danced during the Sinulog too.


Floats during the parade.


Sam Milby and Ann Curtis for the ABS-CBN float. As in. Gidumog ug tawo ang ABS-CBN float. It was amazing and amusing. Gadagan ang mga tao. Shet.


To be honest, this guy is really cute.


Camarines Sur male dancers


Don't know which contingent this is but the pic looks nice.hehe.


Nigo girl


It rained after lunch. Imagine dancing in the hot, hot sun and then in the rain. Love this pic though.


Uh....hehehe. He looks like Will DeVaughn. I actually saw Will DeVaughn in person! He just kept saying "wow" at the screaming crowd, which I am proud to say included me. Wee!


Colorful girl.


I love this guy's beaded costume. And his paunch.


Tattooed legs in the rain.


PBB float. Wala si Jon...


This was a float for a rubbing alcohol or some such thing. The float was amazing! It included the whole jungle animal family, complete with moving elephant!


Mga taong grasa who took advantage of the numerous Koreans and had their pictures taken with them.

Banig girl 2.


Chadaha sa mga festivals sa Pinas uy!
All contingents had their own Sto. Niños, usually carried by the prettiest girl in their group.


Pretty colors 2. What a great festival.


I think this was during the Sto. Niño procession. An officemate just asked me today (Friday) if I'm gonna go to the Sto. Niño church. I said No. She explained that every Friday is special so Cebuanos go to Sto. Niño. Still have to find out more about this. Will ask around.

So there it is. My Sinulog moment, sans my face. Hahahaha. I had lots of fun, got a lot (as in a looooot) of walking done--imagine walking from Fuente to SM--and I got my first Sinulog experience.

Ain't that kewl?=D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

michiko! ur ryt, loise tan, ms. cebu 2007 is way prettier and she's very nice too. jay cuenca (oh i how i cud i miss him during the parade)is sizzling! i just can't imagine how you survived the crowd. i spent my sinulog in the comforts of my room indulging ugly betty. when i went out, just before twighlight, the crowd was still intolerable. by the way, im one of those people bringing psychedelic umbrellas during the saturday procession. mine was a big green one! sinulog for michelle? wat a great way to be welcomed by cebu!

lyde said...

love it! i wish i was there.

Aiken said...

ANG "NIGO GIRL" MURA JUD SI ALING MARA NANAMAN, who karon, wa na ga txt txt ang pesteh!!!!

mich, cute ayo imo pics