Monday, December 03, 2007

bum

I have never tried being a bum by choice. I've been at it for the past three weeks, and I'm getting bored. Already raided my friends' bookshelves for things to read. So far, these have become my brain food for the past few days:

1. Ursula LeGuin- The Wizard at Earthsea
2. Ursula LeGuin- The Tombs of Atuan
3. Neil Gaiman- Stardust
4. Neil Gaiman- American Gods
5. Neil Gaiman- Good Omens
6. Paolo Coehlo- Veronika Decides to Die
7. Paolo Coehlo- The Devil and Miss Prym
8. Jeffrey Eugenides- MiddleSex
9. Gregory Maguire- Wicked
10. Mitch Albom- For One More Day
11. half of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
13. I can't remember the rest.

I once told Bergie and Crau that for me, most of the time, books are like hoes. I forget what they're about after I have fun reading them. (I know, I know. You're probably getting a heart attack right now.) That was why I said most of the time. I'm just being honest. It's the reason why I don't buy books that much. Why would I want to read things for a second time if I had other choices? I'm in it for the adventure, for the momentary vacation from reality, for the little tidbits of information I pick up along the way.

But books as life-changing events? I haven't read one to convince me of that yet.

Still though, I guess I'm lucky. I can stay up all night just reading while my friends are out like a light since they've got classes the next day.

Oh by the way. I'm 22 now. The night (and early morning of) before my birthday, Bergie and I wrote a list of things we want the other person to do before turning 23.

Here are some of mine.
-get purple highlights
-get extra piercings
-babysit for a day (don't really like kids that much)
-eat veggies for two weeks
-write a poem (this one had me collapsing on their floor. I.cannot.write.poetry)
-finish a painting

For her, she has to learn belly dancing, learn how to mix a cocktail, take up a sport, join a street dance in any major Philippine fiesta, among others.

Guess these pseudo-dares are the result of too much time on our hands.

Who was it that said "There are two great tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want. The other is getting it."?

(Imagine Droopy with his "I'm s0000o happy" face) Life after graduation. Just great.

3 comments:

Sasha Martinez said...

Oi! Middlesex is one of the best books ever!!! (exclamation!!! point!!! overload!!!)

:)

Hehe, I just had that heart attack.

Belated, sweetie. :)

anna katrina said...

how was good omens mich? Am planning to buy the book eh. hehe. =)

michelle said...

sasha, i know! i know! haha. i wanna read the virgin suicides too, but i loved middlesex! ang language! grabe=D

anna, good omens? me no like.hehe.honestly.dragging kaayo.DON'T BUY IT!