I have always been a fan of shopping malls. I get ecstatic at the mere sight of one, especially since I have been living in a no-mall zone like Dumaguete City for the past three years. It is not the brand items, really. Nor is it the “girl” instinct to shop. I guess over the years, my fascination with just walking around malls has developed into a personal fulfilling experience. Even now, I can just imagine myself leaving the mall with as many goods as possible for the lowest possible amount spent.
Two days ago, when I was browsing through a November/December 2005 issue of the Psychology Today magazine, I came across an interesting article entitled “The Urge to Splurge”, highlighting the most basic consumer behavior.
A question posed in the article even goes like this: The ideal location for cosmetics? Across from the shoe department. Waiting for their size, shoppers are a captive audience.
Ideas like these will surely be helpful to anyone just starting out in the cutthroat world of retail. And if you have read your latest Entrepreneur Magazine correctly, it is true that you shouldn’t just flop around with a business, thinking you already know everything. It always helps to listen to general words of wisdom.
Here are some of the facts from the article I like best. I have incorporated it into what could be my personal advice, as a self-confessed window shopper and mall enthusiast, to future businesspeople and storeowners.
1. By the door
Never ever instruct your salespeople to call out, either from inside the store or by the entrance, “Sir, Ma’am, pasok po!” It has never worked on me, and I think it only lessens the image of your establishment. Not only do you bring attention to the fact that you do not have customers, but you also appear desperate, having to resort to calling out to passersby much like a fish vendor calls attention to his ware. No class.
Instead, the entrance should be constantly open; there should be no doors blocking the occasional customer’s path. And make it look browse-friendly from the outside. According to the article, many shoppers shy away from mussing expertly folded and stacked garments. So today's salespeople are trained to leave a few items unfolded, encouraging shoppers to look and touch.
You can always post big “Sale” signs because whether you like it or not, bargain prices will always be in, drawing shoppers, especially of the female variety, like a bee to honey. And one more thing, have a great window display. ‘Nuff said.
2. The first 10 feet
Now that you have succeeded getting the customer inside the store, the next thing to do is to strategically place the merchandise using so-called consumer psychology.
The article mentioned that the first 10 feet inside a store is the “transition zone.” This would basically be the transition from a passerby into a potential customer.
Since most shoppers tend to turn right after passing through the entrance, there should be something that could immediately catch their attention.
I remember when I walked into a shoe store in SM Cebu. The table in front of the door held the newest pairs of sandals. Then to my right, they mounted and lit the high-priced footwear. After that, they took advantage of the summer season to emphasize the beach footwear on sale. Paying attention to strategic placement of goods works all the time.
3. In the store
Get charming salesladies. Getting salesmen, especially if they are handsome and you are selling girl’s merchandise, only serves to make the customers feel completely aware of what they are doing. They just simply leave the store after making pacute to one or two of the sales force. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. This happened to me a lot in a Robinsons Malate Bench store.
By the way, try providing shopping baskets to your customers. Studies say that these sell more merchandise. Without a doubt, customers end up feeling extremely conscious going up to the counter to pay for only one item in that big shopping basket. If it were me, of course I would reach for more things to buy!
And if you really want to sell merchandise, listen to this concept illuminated in the article: “Perky salesclerks can be annoying, but studies show their attention increases the likelihood of a sale. Some stores, like Diesel jeans, deliberately baffle shoppers with their displays so they have no choice but to ask for help. Smart retailers are always trying to get their employees to talk to customers.”
It capitalizes on the fact that according to a study, many shoppers feel guilty if they receive help from a clerk, but don't buy anything. True enough, even if I hate salespeople that follow me around, I always end up buying once I ask them something.
4. The ambiance
The over-all atmosphere of your store can either scare or attract your customers. It is usually what makes or breaks potential transactions.
My advice would certainly be to fill the store with mirrors. It adds to the perception of space (extremely beneficial for cramped areas). Besides, most people check out their hair as much as they do clothes on the mirror. So they end up buying more of your goods to correct their “imagined” imperfections. Extra sales!
Also make your store pack-friendly. Train your sales force to be as accommodating as possible. That guilt factor I was talking about a while ago can apply double, triple, multiple times when it comes to a group of girls. A study says that girls who shop in packs tend to buy more—feeding, perhaps, off one another's impulsivity—than teens who shop alone. Teen boys also like to hang out at shopping centers. But they are more interested in the girls than in the merchandise.
By the way, spotlight the merchandise because it has been proven to increase sales. It also bathes the store in that yummy yellow light, making the surroundings look cozy and chic.
So there you have it. They may not come from those experts that rich retail companies hire to increase sales. But at least they come from a customer who knows what she’s talking about. It’s about time you get an in on these trade secrets.
Sunday, October 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment